Sunday, September 20, 2009

Steamroller in SF

So I finally decided to go to the "Roadworks" event that San Francisco Center for the Book puts on each fall. I've known about it since I first took a bookmaking class there three or four years ago. Honestly, it was much more interesting than I thought it would be. There were handmade vendors hawking print related works they had made (all very reasonably priced), guest artists inking huge (must have been at least three feet square) linoleum block prints, smaller twelve inch square lino blocks that you can pay to have printed (maybe next year? - I didn't know that "anyone" could participate), free letterpress workshop/bookbinding workshop, foam printing, and of course hours of a steamroller gliding over lino cuts just for the heck of it. Not all of the prints weren't perfect (it is a steamroller and not a press by the way), but it was a good time!
I'll show some photos in class, but here is a glimpse.


Here is a photo of my "book". I used the "is you is or is you ain't" line - lyrics from an old friend/musician in New Orleans, John Fohl (great acoustic blues guitarist who also plays for Dr. John).

No comments:

Post a Comment