Friday, September 7, 2018

A Good Morning Follow Up

While I begin my second cup of coffee this morning, I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone that was able to make it to BTSN last night. It's a long day for everyone, but I do get jazzed with all of the parental units coming into the spaces that I get to call a home-away-from-home.
Even after all these years the rooms are still a work in progress, but I kind of like it that way. You know, my penchant for process and all that.

Over my FIRST cup of coffee there was a great article I read about how beneficial mistakes can be to the process of learning, so you might be interested in it as well.

I mostly say the same things in each class at BTSN, but since I have five times I have to repeat myself in a short period of time I know each class got slightly different information as well. I'll try to keep it brief.


It is important to me that my students are willing and thoughtful. There is no substitute for putting "marks in a page". I need something to go off of to help them.

The students need to own their own learning. I will give vast feedback and help, but I can't read minds, and if they are struggling or frustrated it is best if they find a kind and appropriate way to communicate that with me.

Feedback is important and I expect them to read all of the feedback given and use it/respond to it via making their work stronger. I put a lot of comments into the different items listed in the grade book, so that is a great way to stay current and up to date - if you have that sort of interest even as a parent.

I believe in adjustments and do-overs whenever possible. Which goes along with the above statements.

Growth is what I want to see. After doing this for so many years it is very easy to tell if true and conscientious effort was put forth. It is painfully obvious to me if something was rushed at the last minute, and rushing physical products at the last minute is the best way to ensure less than desirable results.

I expect the students to engage in the curriculum. Sitting idly by - which some are wont to do - is a bad idea and will not only not help them, but it will not get them where they likely want to be. Just being in the room and not disrupting the process isn't enough. Engagement means a lot more to me that just being present. I do not need perfection. I do need thoughtful engagement. I know from experience that if the student is truly trying then decent (if not good - or great) product will result.

The use of tutorial time on a consistent basis will make this class better for everyone involved.

I am also here before and after school and I strongly encourage the students to use the studio during those times as well. Even if they aren't working on Art, but they need a good place to be, I hope they make the studio a home.

Did I mention that tutorial is super important to use yet?


We have been off to a good start, and, as I do each year, I am so excited that I have to reign myself in from trying to do too much too soon. I just love what I teach, so what can I say?!

If you've made it this far, yeah for you. The last thing I would ask (and this is totally optional) is if you have another moment to share a short anecdote about your child, that would be rad.
You can use THIS LINK if you are so inclined.

Thank you again!


No comments:

Post a Comment