Thursday, October 12, 2017

Regarding your Chopped project

Hey all you wonderful Art 3's.
I have not "graded" your chopped project, and we will do some assessing/commenting in class before I do as such, but I did want to make a few comments after looking through the ones I received today.

First, some of you still don't have the control over your watercolor that would be most ideal. I know some of you feel the struggle with this medium, and because of that you avoid it. Ugh. You WILL NOT GET BETTER if you don't allow yourself to struggle with it, and then put in the continued and thoughtful time to do something in a different way.
Second, white. Very very few of you retained white paper for bright highlights in your pieces. I don't know how many times I have reiterated the need for contrast and value variety over the years, but I know it has been A LOT. If you look AT THESE paintings you'll see what I mean. Nothing about those pieces is special, but her use of white space makes all the difference.
Third, ink. It's hard to have too much stipple, and most of you didn't go far enough with that small pen. The same can be said for hatch. Now with that said, some of them have great uses of ink in some places, but taken as a whole I think there could be more.

You have some really fun ideas, but some more time would be beneficial. Are you willing to come in and add additional work to yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment